Sunday 29 July 2018

Boxes for N gauge stock

I spent this morning creating a couple of boxes to put N-gauge stock in.

The boxes themselves were from Amazon, £15 for five.

The foam was from a company called Poly-Props, and in fact the two boxes I made were from a 100x50 cm free sample they kindly gave at Comic Con Manchester (my daughter wanted to go). You might just get five boxes done from a square meter. It is nominally 10 mm thick, but looks more like 9 mm to me. I used the lowest density foam they offered.

 

I found it worked out neatly have the compartments run longways, giving seven slots.

The bottom is a single sheet, 305 mm by 214 mm. The walls are 27 mm high, so the long ones are 305 mm by 27 mm. The end bits are 20 mm by 27 mm, which gives a nice tight fit, and means everything stays in place, though where the dividers are not in line they can distort the next slot.

I then covered the lot with two layers 6 mm thick soft foam left over from another project.

If you do this yourself, check my measurements!

No comments:

Post a Comment