Thursday 28 February 2013

First rolling stock

Yesterday I had to take the day off work to look after my ill son, so tok the opportunity to do more work in the garage. The infrastructure is pretty much done, but the boards the track will be on still needs to be put it. The short stretch of standard gauge has been pinned into place though.

In the evening I built a coach, my first peice of rolling stock for 009. It was from a Parkside Dundas kit, and went together pretty well, though somewhat fiddly getting the seats in, and putting the bolt on the bogies. I did not try to put on the handrails, and the vacuum pipes will go on after painting.

The wheels are not as free-running as I would have hoped; I might put a bit of graphite from a 2B pencil into the axle holes to see if that helps, but it looks good apart from that. I had not appreciated just how small narrow gauge stock is, I might have to revise my plan accordingly. The run-round loop would be enormous. I have a second coach which I will put together tonight probably, then paint them together. Still trying to decide on a livery.

I am still waiting for my fist loco kit to arrive, ordered from Modelfair Monday last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment